Ambien Side Effects
Ambien side effects can worsen over time so dramatically that doctors now are strongly cautioned by the FDA in the US and by the counterpart of the FDA in the UK not to prescribe sleeping aids such as Ambien for more than a 3 to 4 week period.
Ambien side effects can worsen over time so dramatically that doctors now are strongly cautioned by the FDA in the US and by the counterpart of the FDA in the UK not to prescribe sleeping aids such as Ambien for more than a 3 to 4 week period. Drug makers have also been forced to put additional black box warnings on the packaging, indicating the risks of both the common and less common side effects of Ambien. However, stopping a drug abruptly can present such Ambien withdrawal problems that it cannot easily be done, and can be especially risky to attempt without monitoring carefully by qualified medical assistance.
WARNING: Per FDA warnings, one should never abruptly stop taking a prescription drug without help. See the end of this article regarding finding the best help for treating Ambien side effects and safely tapering from this and similar medications.
Common Ambien Side Effects
The patient who cannot get off their medication, and is experiencing Ambien side effects on a daily basis suffers more, usually than before their prescription began. There are too many side effects of Ambien to list them all here, but here is a list which has been limited to show some of the most common and very common side effects of Ambien:
- Rebound Insomnia: patients are prescribed Ambien most often as a sleep aid. After a short time, however, there is a lessening of the "knock-out" effect, where the patient may awaken after an hour or two and be unable to fall back asleep.
- Vertigo, dizziness, room spinning is a common side effect of Ambien, making for an uncomfortable transition to a sleep state, or a disturbing waking sensation, or which could also occur at random, i.e., during one's workday or while driving.
- Ataxia, caused by a toxic reaction to medications like Ambien, resembles drunkenness, often presents slurred speech, inability to control voluntary muscles, resulting in an inability to walk without stumbling, cannot hold and control objects such as eating utensils, cannot move or control the body or body parts, and so on.
- Ambien side effects upon the heart frequently occur, such as racing heart, palpitations, increased blood pressure.
- Rashes and wrinkling of the skin are two common side effects of Ambien, along with urticaria or hives, raised itching welts.
- Headaches are a very common Ambien side effect.
- Abdominal disturbances are common on Ambien, including loss of appetite, diarrhea, flatulence, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, constipation, hiccups, acid reflux, and heartburn.
- Urinary tract infections and dryness of the vaginal walls are common side effects for women taking Ambien.
- Back pain, neck pain, cramping of muscles, arthralgia (pain in joints), myalgia (aching muscles or groups of muscles).
- Blurred vision, double vision, altered depth perception are all common side effects on Ambien for men or women.
- Flu, influenza-like symptoms, sinusitis, throat infection, sore throat, chest pain, chest or respiratory infection, fever, confusion, tinnitus, fatigue, asthenia (sudden weakness, loss of physical strength) are all side effects commonly linked to Ambien.
Other Common Side Effects of Ambien to Be Cognizant Of:
- Amnesia: after taking Ambien the person may not remember things they did, said or experienced. Chunks of time may seem to be entirely "missing" during the unconscious state which occurs after taking Ambien.
- Impaired memory, partially obscured memory, scrambled memories.
Many Other Ambien psychiatric side effects commonly include:
- Insomnia (see above under "rebound insomnia")
- Aggravated insomnia
- Sleep-walking (see above under "Amnesia")
- Mood Swings
- Memory Impairment
- Binge Eating
Find Help For Tapering From and Eliminating Side Effects on Ambien
Alternative to Meds Center will provide the help a person needs to deal with the discomforts of taking a drug like Ambien, and help with safely tapering from the drug. We investigate the initial problems preceding the prescribing of such medications so they can be eliminated for total success. Call us today and find out more about how we can assist you or your loved one to conquer the need for and the debilitating side effects of Ambien.
Call us today to find out how we can help you too.
The path to becoming medication free begins with your first step.
Our advisors are standing by 7 days a week: 7:00 am to 7:00 pm.
What will it take for you to beat your medication dependency?
Financing Available & Private Insurance Accepted
Our overall costs are half that of traditional programs yet we provide you with customized holistic inpatient residential treatment programs of personalized care from a licensed facility and recovery team that really cares about you and your health. We have limited space available so contact us today for a FREE Consultation to determine your costs and our next available admission dates.
There is an alternative to meds ... and we are it.