Lamotrigine Side Effects
Lamotrigine side effects can emerge in both adults and children. Doctors initially prescribed the anticonvulsant antiseizure medication to epileptic patients to prevent seizures. Other "off-label" uses for the drug have since developed, such as to help with depression, migraines, and other reasons.
Lamotrigine side effects can emerge in both adults and children. Doctors initially prescribed the anticonvulsant/antiseizure medication to epileptic patients to prevent seizures. Other "off-label" uses for the drug have since developed, such as to help with depression, migraines, and other reasons.
The way the drug works is not fully known. Reports show the drug is a sodium channel blocker, but they have yet to discover whether the sodium impairment takes place intracellularly or extracellularly. Pharmacologists and others reason that if it helps with epileptic seizures, perhaps it would also help with other conditions that may be related to neurological disruptions like mood swings or BiPolar. Some physicians might go ahead and experiment on their patients, but others may be inclined to question this "cross your fingers and try it" approach to patient care. Observably, the results of such practices can often be unpredictable, and may indeed injure the health of the patient.
At the Alternative to Meds Center, our physicians and clinicians prefer a more investigative and science-based set of treatment protocols. These will be outlined further down in this article.
Side Effects of Lamotrigine Can Be Severe
- Lamotrigine-induced Stevens-Johnson syndrome is a raw, blistering skin reaction so severe that to treat it requires a burn unit or ICU. Initial symptoms of fever, sore throat, and lesions in the mouth, vagina or anus last for 1-3 days, are followed by massive numbers of eruptions across the trunk, legs, face, genitals, and soles of the feet. Complications from this condition can include sepsis, pneumonia, dehydration and organ failure.
- FDA issued a specific warning about lamotrigine-induced aseptic meningitis. The meningitis symptoms subside after several days but recur some two weeks later. A severe headache, neck stiffness, heart murmur, fever, vomiting, tachycardia, conjunctivitis, etc., requiring hospitalization.
- Diplopia (double vision) and blurred vision
- Loss of concentration/focus
- Abnormal thinking
- Dizziness, vertigo
- Dyspraxia (a neurological disorder which affects the planning and execution of motor tasks)
- Ataxia (loss of coordination, clumsiness, slurred speech, appears similar to drunkenness)
- Vomiting, nausea
- Peptic Ulcer
- Accidents and injuries
Holistic Treatments Without Lamotrigine Side Effects
At the Alternative to Meds Center, assessing the client's symptoms and history provides markers or signposts, which the medical and clinical team can further investigate. Drawing labs for vital information offers a wealth of useful information on what neurotoxic substances and other non-optimum conditions could be present and could account to some degree for the client's initial symptoms. Neurotoxin removal then allows the body to begin to normalize, and recover a more optimal level of function. Once stabilized, a client can then begin to taper safely from the medications that they feel were not benefitting their overall health.
Replenishing the body with missing nutrients is also beneficial since deficiencies in certain minerals or vitamins can result in non-optimum health. A clean diet of nutrient-dense, mostly organic and unprocessed food is another crucial adjunct to treatment. Many other facets of the program provide support, comfort, and improved emotional and physical well-being throughout the client's program and progress.
Whether you are considering treatment for yourself or a loved one, we urge you to find out more. Call today and ask us about how quickly anyone can enrol in our lamotrigine withdrawal program and find relief from debilitating Lamotrigine side effects.
Antipsychotic Withdrawal Success Video
Watch the video of how Ryan was trapped on antipsychotics and in and out of hospitals for 10 years and gets free ...
Call us today to find out how we can help you too.
The path to becoming medication free begins with your first step.
Our advisors are standing by 7 days a week: 7:00 am to 7:00 pm.
What will it take for you to beat your medication dependency?
Financing Available & Private Insurance Accepted
Our overall costs are half that of traditional programs yet we provide you with customized holistic inpatient residential treatment programs of personalized care from a licensed facility and recovery team that really cares about you and your health. We have limited space available so contact us today for a FREE Consultation to determine your costs and our next available admission dates.
There is an alternative to meds ... and we are it.