Side Effects of Effexor Withdrawal
Side effects of Effexor withdrawal do not need to be feared. One can manage symptoms by utilizing specific preparatory steps and medical monitoring throughout the process.
One may not be able to avoid every discomfort, but the process done correctly can markedly reduce the severity and make it exponentially milder, shorter, and easier to face. The Alternative to Meds Center specializes in tapering from medication, while at the same time increasing overall health and wellness. We have served thousands of clients for well over ten years, on a foundation of science-based protocols designed to achieve the best possible outcomes for the bettered health of our clients.
Why Some May Decide to Stop Taking an SNRI Drug?
There may be any number of reasons why a person may decide to discontinue taking an SNRI antidepressant medication, as health risks and discomforts the medication causes may outweigh any perceived benefit of continuing the drug. The National Alliance on Mental Health, the CMA and the FDA all have reported on some side effects that may act as a deterrent to continuing the medication, such as:
- An increased risk of suicidal ideation or behavior, which is noted in the "black box warning" on the Effexor package insert.
- Expectant mothers should be informed there is an increased risk of premature birth when taking the drug during pregnancy, especially after week 13. The CMA (Canadian Medical Association) reported in 2010 a doubled risk of miscarriage and premature births where doctors have prescribed Effexor to expectant mothers. This information is especially worth noting since the black box warnings on the packaging do not mention birth defects at all.
- The FDA classified Effexor as a Class C drug, meaning it causes birth defects in animal studies. (No human trials were done, as that would have breached ethical medical standards.)
- One of the many birth defects associated with Effexor is the fatal condition where the infant's skull, cap, and brain are missing.
- Others include cleft palate, cleft lip, malformed skull bones, heart conditions, abdominal malformation, respiratory troubles, and other tragic consequences, none of which appear in the drug's black box warning.
- Other side effects may lead to the decision to discontinue Effexor and include: aggression, depression, bloody stools, dark urine, insomnia, severe headaches, sweating, nervousness, anxiety, convulsions, tachycardia, mood swings, loss of strength, cognitive dysfunction, confusion, loss of memory, mania, feeling out of breath, fainting, restlessness, cramping, constipation, fever, diarrhea.
These are some of the reasons why a person may elect to withdraw from Effexor.
WARNING: Never abruptly stop taking a medication such as Effexor, as it can be life-threatening to do so, and can induce long-lasting after effects.
Can Side Effects of Effexor Withdrawal be Reduced?
Yes, and we have helped thousands of clients at our center to do just that, for more than a decade. We provide the necessary steps including testing, cleansing, nutritional and other health supports that make the process of tapering from medication much milder, more predictable, and much easier to tolerate. Without these types of assistance, preparatory steps, and attention to specific health concerns during titration, the following side effects can challenge a person beyond their tolerance level or ability to function normally:
- brain zaps (sensations of electrical pops or shocks)
- cognitive and motor dysfunction, i.e., inability to reason and judge, articulate speech, coordinate movement, operate machinery, etc.
- confusion, agitation, vertigo
- sleep disturbances, i.e., insomnia, vivid nightmares,
- severe headaches, nausea, vomiting, sweating, deepening depression,
How Can We Help?
The Alternative to Meds Center is a residential treatment facility that specializes in helping clients to safely, gently withdraw from medications. Effexor is considered one of the most severe of all antidepressants for discontinuation adverse effects, possibly due to its very short half-life.
Despite the difficulties that medications can present during cessation, our program is specifically designed to mitigate these as much as possible. Our wealth of experience and successful treatment outcomes are a testament to our program and the protocols we use.
We invite you to find out more about the Alternative to Meds Center, by calling the number on this page. Ask us about insurance coverage, as we have found most private insurance carriers will cover at least a percentage of fees. Call today and find out how we can help you or your loved one to overcome the substantial challenges of side effects of Effexor withdrawal.
Public Domain References:
Call us today to find out how we can help you too.
The path to becoming medication free begins with your first step.
Our advisors are standing by 7 days a week: 7:00 am to 7:00 pm.
What will it take for you to beat your medication dependency?
Financing Available & Private Insurance Accepted
Our overall costs are half that of traditional programs yet we provide you with customized holistic inpatient residential treatment programs of personalized care from a licensed facility and recovery team that really cares about you and your health. We have limited space available so contact us today for a FREE Consultation to determine your costs and our next available admission dates.
There is an alternative to meds ... and we are it.