Lamictal Side Effects
Lamictal side effects range from mild to severe to life-threatening, according to clinical trials and studies, which often leads to the decision to discontinue the medication.
Anticonvulsants such as Lamictal are prescribed for various conditions, such as preventing epileptic or other types of seizures, and also for patients labeled as bipolar, mania, and some other psychiatric disorders. Noone entirely knows how Lamictal works, but medical literature states that doctors should never prescribe Lamictal to treat depression, as antiepileptics worsen depression and increase suicidality.
Patients and caregivers need to give particular attention when monitoring any person on drugs such as Lamictal for significant change in behaviors, moods, suicidal thoughts, and any other sudden worsening symptom or set of symptoms. Several of the most severe side effects of Lamictal mimic overdose symptoms. Lamictal needs careful, attentive monitoring, and even more so when prescribed for children, the infirm, and the elderly.
Critical Side Effects of Lamictal to Watch For
Should the following critical adverse reactions present, one should initiate immediate emergency medical care without delay:
- A migraine headache, severe head pain
- Severe dryness of the mouth
- Heavy drowsiness
- Intense dizziness/vertigo
- Extreme loss of balance, clumsiness
- Nystagmus (a back and forth rapid eye movements, rolling eyes, usually accompanied by dizziness)
- Tachycardia (racing heart, even when at rest)
- Very slurred speech, inability to speak
Some of the most common Lamictal side effects include:
- Diplopia (double vision)
- Vertigo (dizziness, spinning feeling)
- Ataxia (loss of voluntary muscle control, spastic motions, unintended jerking, unsteady gait, etc.)
- Pharyngitis (acute or chronic inflammation of the throat)
- Rectal bleeding (hemorrhage)
- Peptic (stomach) ulcer
- Can not focus, loss of concentration
- Unusual thoughts
- Nervous feeling
- Outbursts of emotions, such as crying spells, angry episodes, without apparent cause
- Nystagmus (see above under critical symptoms)
- Unusual sensitivity to light
- Amblyopia (loss of vision in one eye)
- Nausea, vomiting
- Somnolence (drowsiness, feeling as though one is going to sleep)
- Hypoesthesia (impaired tactile, numbness)
- Dyspraxia (cannot coordinate sequential actions involving motor skills, i.e. writing, riding a bike, etc.)
- Accident Prone
- Neck pain
- Weight loss or gain
- Pain in chest
- Paresthesia (burning, prickling, creeping, tingling sensations in the skin with no apparent cause)
- Skin dryness, rash, eczema
- Pruritus (intense itching)
There are hundreds of common side effects of Lamictal which any person taking the drug can learn and should know.
Safely Discontinuing Lamictal
Once one decides to come off an anticonvulsant drug, success requires planning, proper preparation, and medical oversight. At the Alternative to Meds Center, we specialize in helping people recover from prescription drug damage. We aim to restore as full spectrum health as possible, in a safe and gentle program designed for just this purpose.
We invite you to call the center and obtain more information about our Lamictal withdrawal holistic tapering programs offered and get all your questions answered thoroughly. Once a person decides to change their health, choosing the best, most experienced health professionals is essential. We understand the difficulties and intricacies of coming off prescription medicine and have had thousands of clients reach their health goals with us. Call us today and find out more about our treatments for Lamictal side effects.
Antipsychotic Withdrawal Success Video
Watch the video of how Ryan was trapped on antipsychotics and in and out of hospitals for 10 years and gets free ...
Call us today to find out how we can help you too.
The path to becoming medication free begins with your first step.
Our advisors are standing by 7 days a week: 7:00 am to 7:00 pm.
What will it take for you to beat your medication dependency?
Financing Available & Private Insurance Accepted
Our overall costs are half that of traditional programs yet we provide you with customized holistic inpatient residential treatment programs of personalized care from a licensed facility and recovery team that really cares about you and your health. We have limited space available so contact us today for a FREE Consultation to determine your costs and our next available admission dates.
There is an alternative to meds ... and we are it.